I am trying to write some of the interesting,funny, cultural differences, etc as I experience them. I think it will be neat to look back on someday.
Today I took Kay to her soccer camp. I signed her up because school is closed and we really needed an activity to get us away from just doing the many chores that come with moving to another country (we are still trying to get a credit card!!). I need to set he scene so you can picture what Kay's new life is like....Kay is one of two children whose native language is English in the class. Most of the children speak cantonese at home. The room is also filled with helpers who bring the children who are mostly from the Philipines and speak Tagalog. The coach is British and all kids are between ages two and three. The coach tries his best to keep all kids in check but at any given moment one of them is off to the side, turning around in circles, stepping on a cone, or doing just about anything but listening. He has them take turns to run up and practice kicking. The coach usually has to call Kay's name early because she stands up after each name in high hopes it is her turn. At one point the coach went around and said the following "football for you..." as he handed balls to each of the kids. When he got to Kay she freaked out and said "no football". Later, when I asked why she did not want a ball she said "no football, soccer!" Poor thing! She has so many new words, experiences, sites going on around her she must be so confused!!
Craig received a phone call from our building asking if they could drop off a welcome basket. Today the doorbell rang and a lady with a huge basket with two brown paper bags in it was at the door. I thanked her and she put the bags on the table taking the basket with her. Inside were three sodas and three sandwiches. I had to chuckle to myself because I had prepared myself for a basket full of munchies like we would get back at home. I called Craig to tell him and he said they mentioned a sandwich on the phone but he thought surely it was another lost in translation moment! I love that everyday here something happens that makes me say "huh, interesting..."
Wednesday, December 21, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment